How to Get Your Insurance to Pay for Your Wig
What Conditions are Covered When it Comes to Wigs?
This really depends on your insurance and plan, but generally, the following conditions are covered when it comes to getting a free or partially covered wig.
- Hair loss due to chemotherapy
- Hair loss due to radiation treatment
- Hair loss due to cancer diagnosis
- Hair loss due to kidney problems
- Hair loss due to thyroid issues
- Other conditions of hair loss may be covered as well (stress, genetics, aging, etc.)
Where to Start with Your Insurance
There are a few things you’ll need to do to find out if your insurance will cover your wig or not.
To know for sure if you’re covered, you’ll need to call your insurance company and talk with them about it. Keep in mind that just because it’s not listed on your policy doesn’t mean you’re not covered! So, be sure to call either way.
- Ask if your plan covers a wig with hair loss
- What kind of wig does your plan cover (human hair, synthetic, etc.)
- How much of it do they cover? (Usually between 80-100%)
- What terminology your doctor needs to include on your prescription
- How many wigs per year are covered (It’s usually one per year)
What to Do After you Talk to Your Insurance Company
Now that you’ve talked to the insurance company, you might be wondering, now what? Well, there are a few steps you need to take in order to get the process moving.
- Diagnosis: A medical doctor will have to diagnose you with the medical condition that causes your hair loss.
- Get a prescription: Make sure you get a written prescription from your doctor. After your diagnosis, your doctor can prescribe a cranial prosthesis or a necessary wig for you. A medical code along with the bill for your Wig can be submitted to the insurance company. Wig makers or companies can be reimbursed or insurance companies can be billed directly.
- Consider a note: Have your doctor write a note about why you need the wig with medical terms included.
- Collect all of your documentation: Make copies and keep everything on hand.
- Select and purchase your wig: If your insurance company wants to reimburse you after you buy your wig, go ahead and buy it. Just make sure you understand the process before buying. If they are reimbursing you, make sure you keep your receipt with your documentation.
- Send it in: Send in all of your documents and receipt to the insurance company so you can be reimbursed.
What Influences the Cost of a Wig?
As far as the cost of wigs, you get what you pay for. Cheaper wigs may not last as long or come in a style or color you like. Here are a few other factors to consider when choosing your wig and understanding the costs.
- Material (human hair is better quality but will cost more than a synthetic wig)
What if Insurance Doesn’t Approve My Claim?
Please be aware of the terms used, a lot of insurance companies will not approve a claim that has a wig on it because they view it as cosmetic. You want to use medical terms like cranial prosthesis, hair prosthesis, cranial hair prosthesis, or extracranial prosthesis. Again, make sure you contact your medical insurance to ask them if they cover cranial prosthesis or medical necessary wigs and find out what the percentage they cover and what else you need to show them to get the process going. Find out your out-of-pocket limit deductible requirements E.T.C. before moving forward.
If they still won’t cover the cost of your wig, you can always ask about tax deductions based on the cost of your wig. You can also reach out to local chapters of groups like the American Cancer Society. They can sometimes help with the cost of wigs, as well!
Who you buy your wig from is extremely important
You want to make sure that you are purchasing your wig from a company that has a Taxpayer Identification Number. You also want to make sure the company or person you’re getting it from is a reputable professional and reliable. The last thing you want to deal with is a company that will give you the runaround, please check out The Virgin Hair Fantasy. We are experienced in taking care of clients with all types of hair concerns.
We have been supplying great quality service and products as a company for over 10 years and we cannot wait to assist you. Please click on these links to check out our Instagram page and YouTube channel to see our work.